Character stats will gradually increase over time. They may be viewed by pressing the down arrow under the selected character's portrait on the top left of the screen in the shelter.
- Feeling Okay - The character is healthy.
- Food Poisoning - Occurs when a character eats when his or her dirtiness stat is high, when eating in an untidy environment, or eating uncooked meat. Characters with food poisoning may vomit frequently. Food poisoning can be prevented by frequent usage of a shower to keep dirtiness stats low and a mop & bucket to keep the shelter clean. Food poisoning will eventually work its way out of a character's system after a short amount of time. However, getting food poisoning is necessary for Unhygienic characters to change to Hygienic.
- Radiation Poisoning - Characters can get radiation poisoning from exposure to radioactive particles in the air. This can be prevented by equipping gas masks while on expeditions, wearing hazmat suits while outside of the shelter, and maintaining the oxygen and water filters. Radiation poisoning causes characters to slowly lose health and can only be cured by using anti-radiation tablets. It takes a character approximately 1 day to die of radiation poisoning.
- Catatonic - When the trauma stat is full , and the characters have no positive stats to turn negative, characters will go into a fetal position and become catatonic, catatonic characters must be taken care by another character. Catatonic characters can return to normal if properly taken care of.
- Suffocating - Occurs if there are too many people in the base and the output of the oxygen filter is not enough. Causes a health decrease at a relatively rapid pace. The only way to cure this is to upgrade the output for the oxygen filter or dismiss people until they stop suffocating.
- Weakened - Occurs after a character been revived from unconsciousness with a defibrillator. When weakened, the character's life has been cut to 50% and is unable to be revived by a defibrillator again. The condition can only be fixed by waiting 25 in-game days.
Characters lose health during battles in the wasteland or through radiation poisoning. Health regeneration can be temporarily boosted through the use of a first-aid kit. If a character's health stat reaches zero, that character will die.
- Thirst - reduced by drinking water from a water butt.
- Hunger - reduced by eating food rations from a pantry or meat from a freezer.
- Tiredness - reduced by sleeping on a bed.
- Toilet - reduced by using a toilet.
- Dirtiness - reduced by bathing in a shower.
Each stat controls the character's stress level. If enough of the stats are in the red then that character's stress stat will start to increase. Once the stats are out of the red the stress stat will reduce. If stress gets in to the red that character will start to suffer trauma. Stress can also be reduced by interacting with a jukebox, reading books for adults, or playing with toys for children. Having a pet around also reduces stress, so be sure to keep your dog or cat alive.
Trauma is increased when the stress stat is full, when another character dies, or when the character kills another character in combat. When the trauma stat is full, any positive traits the character has turn negative, if the characters have no more positive traits and the trauma stat goes to full again, they will become become catatonic. Catatonic characters are unable to drink or eat and require the care of another character. Reducing stress will cause the trauma stat to eventually decrease.